Marijuana Decriminalization In Tenn. To Be Considered

State lawmakers are tackling whether marijuana should be legalized in Tennessee.

Rep. Rick Staples (D-Knoxville) introduced a bill that would change Tennessee’s controlled substances laws to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana statewide. It would also authorize counties to hold referendum elections to allow marijuana growing, manufacturing, delivery and retail sales within their boundaries. Counties would be able to dictate the legality at the local level—similar to alcohol.

For more on this story, pick up a copy of this week’s Livingston Enterprise on newsstands now, or subscribe online at livingstonenterprise.net.

8 Comments

1. Georgana Jones on January 28, 2020 at 11:47 pm

With Federal decriminalization, it’s only fair and logical all states also introduce decriminalization.

2. Ricky Hilliard on January 29, 2020 at 7:05 am

Yes please decriminalize marijuana in Tennessee soon please nobody wants to go to jail over a petty poss of marijuana

• Rhythmco on February 16, 2020 at 11:26 am

Yah been there. Got pulled over because the cop going the other way thought i didn’t have my seatbelt on. He smelled pot because i was smoking. Got possession for less than $10 worth and a pipe. Cost me $2600 lawyer got it expunged and dismissed

3. Donna Coleman Wilcox on January 29, 2020 at 7:16 am

It’s about time! The income generated can benefit our state in many ways if managed in the right ways. I never understood the criminalization of marijuana. The effects are much less than alcohol. The effects of marijuana are calming and beneficial to many health issues. I’m been waiting for this a long time.

4. Danny Akers on January 29, 2020 at 8:15 am

I think it should be legalized in Tennessee.I think most people here would vote yes if it was on the ballot.

5. Amy on January 29, 2020 at 1:02 pm

I think that it should be legalized because it really doesn’t cause any harm. It helps a lot of people statewide for DIFFERENT TYPES of problems they may have: depression, anxiety,pain,headaches…etc. if it helps people with their problems and will make the world alittle less chaotic then I’d say legalize it. Everybody would always be in a great mood!! 👍🏻👌🏼😍🤷🏻‍♀️

6. Ricky Wayne Hilliard on January 29, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Please decriminalize marijuana. It helps so many people with ptsd anxiety depression and suicidal thoughts… it’s sad va had the balls to decriminalize marijuana but our state representatives are to dumb to.. maybe we should vote for better representatives for our state

7. Amy Roberts on February 6, 2020 at 6:27 pm

I think it’s long overdue in the state of Tennessee considering more than 33 states have medical cannabis laws as well as about 13 now with recreational cannabis. It’s a shame how many people are incarcerated or fined over a harmless plants that has so many medicinal benefits.