First Automatic Machine Gun Is Here

The world’s first automatic machine gun, the influence of several other spectacle guns reportedly used through WWI and WWII, can be found at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall (VFW) and the American Legion and Auxiliary Post 4 in Livingston.

Developed by Hiram Maxim, an American inventor also popular for other innovations like the hair-curling iron, the “Maxim Gun” was the first fully automatic machine gun and was bought and used by several other forces, particularly Germany in 1892 — the same year Germany signed commercial treaties with Italy, Belgium, Switzerland and Austria-Hungary.

For more on this story, pick up a copy of this week’s Livingston Enterprise on newsstands now, or subscribe online at livingstonenterprise.net.

Leave a Comment